What is Westmont Prize?
- Annual design competition open to all students grade 7-11 across North America
- Teams of 4 sign up online, $120 CAD entry fee (or $30 CAD per each team member), multi-age teams encouraged, pre-work required
- Focus is on quality of teamwork, process, ideation, and presentation. Less so on final idea.
- Panel of national experts/notable judge presentations
- Theme changes each year
- Prize to winning team of $10,000 CAD scholarships to university/school of choice (provided by long term, legacy motivated donor). Team taking 2nd place will receive $5,000 CAD. Team taking 3rd place will receive $2,500 CAD.
- Up to three projects will be invited to pitch their design idea to the INSPIRE: STEM for Social Impact program at UVIC in mid 2023, and to partner with an INSPIRE Apprentice Garage Team to develop a Minimum Viable Product in collaboration with the community of interest.
- Audience Choice Award – During the Award Gala Ceremony, the audience will decide which team will get the Audience Choice Award! This year, the winning team will receive the 4 Regular Season Passes from Wild Play, a value of $800 CAD.
“Youth has the ability and the responsibility to solve the critical challenges of our time.”
Ready to Join?
The Westmont Prize 2021 Winners Story
Four students from three different schools got together to enter the Westmont Prize 2021 design competition.
Hard work, imagination, and desire to change the world for the better brought a $10,000 CAD win for the team!
The ClimAct (Carbon footprint awareness for Teens) was selected as one of the six projects to be funded and developed by the INSPIRE Apprentice Garage Program at UVic.
Over the Summer, a prototype ClimeAct app was developed by a group of students. A working MVP was presented to the academic and business comminities during the Inspire Conference 2022.
Fall 2022 and beyond
The team working on adopting the ClimAct app in schools on the Island in Fall 2022.
Westmont Montessori will be one of these schools!